Welcome!

Thanks for calling by. I hope you enjoy what you see, feel free to leave a comment and call again to catch up on my news.

Monday 11 April 2011

A day of embroidery

I just got back from my Embroiderer's Guild group meeting and my head is buzzing with ideas. I always feel inspired by these get-togethers as there are so many talented ladies there and we spend the day looking at each other's work and chatting ... as well as stitching of course. The talk today was by a lady from the Lincoln group who staged an exhibition of embroidery inspired by the Luttrell Psalter, a 14th century document produced for Sir Geoffrey Luttrell. The work was exquisite and we heard about exciting new techniques of using painted tissue paper bonded to felt and then dyed with tea bags and stitched, which makes the finished fabric look very similar to the original vellum.

I'll show you what I'm working on when it's finished, but here is something I made this last week.


It's a fabric box for my newly decorated bathroom, just to keep my bits and pieces tidy. The colours of the sweet peas echo those of my towels and I'm really quite pleased with the way it turned out. Here's the other one I made. No embroidery this time, just a silk lining to pick up on the green again.

No comments:

Post a Comment